Misery Loves Company

Misery Loves Company

She will call out to you
She will accompany you everywhere you go
She will stay in the background
She will stalk you, trying to get to you
She waits for you patiently
She understands you
She will collaborate with you
She knocks on the door when it is shut
She invades your happiness
She talks to you when you don't want to listen
She grabs your hand to take you with her
She pulls you towards her heart
She shows you the darkness
She offers no light
She simply drags you in and spits you out
She looks forward to the next time
She loves company.  Misery loves company.
----Debbie McDaniel Hornsby

It is in the proverbs that wisdom is personified as a woman.  Sorrow is also often personified as a woman.  This is what I know.  Women are relational.  Sigh.  Think it not strange that I would personify misery as a woman that seeks relationship with me.  Sometimes I seem to find myself choosing to withdraw into the misery, following after some strange relationship with the pain.  I am finding that I can choose to ignore her pleas, and move away from her calls.  Enough filling my heart and my mind with Him and suddenly her voice has less temptation in it.  She is easier to slam the door on when my heart is open to my Father. She can knock on someone else's door, but as for me...I am not home to misery, sorrow sometimes yes, but misery no more.  At least that is my hope for today, my determination in my heart.  My choice, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...