Priceless.....

This is one of my most precious memories...all my boys, united with one heart. 

As Thanksgiving marches towards us with a fast paced vengeance, and Christmas music is already playing everywhere I go, I am reminded of what is really important.  I already feel the Holiday grumble, the cantankerous Christmas, the commercialized, the politicized, the rushing reindeer, the jumpy elves, the mad dash, the endless task and I am exhausted already.  I want to crawl in bed and hide until New Years.  Well, that is an exaggeration because I can't stay in bed past eight....I want to, I really do but it is just not how I am wired.  I can hardly stay home for a full day without going slightly stir crazy, let alone in bed.  But that's not the point.  I hate all the hustle and bustle that can take over my life...event after event, until we hit Christmas and then even then, it will take me several days to unwind.

Last Christmas was hard, as I looked all around.  A smile plastered on my face, I wanted to yell at every passerby....don't waste a minute, there may not be more.  Hold their hand, kiss them bye, buy them treats, breathe in their smell, make a joke, laugh loud, give the money, help the less fortunate, make every second count.  I want to scream at the top of my lungs, for God's sake don't you see what a distraction it's become.  The gifts and the parties are not Christmas at all, in point they have become quite Christless instead.  I am not a Grinch but last year was a fog and all I could think about was whats is this all for?  All the misplaced happy, rang empty and frantic.

This year I can see a tad bit clearer.  I want to celebrate Jesus and the people that matter.  It's moments like the picture above that make a difference.  A Mother with her three sons at the altar, for this, this is the reason that Christmas matters.  Heaven's own son, came down to us and this Mothers heart had all her son's home.  Now it is different, one is truly home and we all recognize that this, this is not really our home.

So we join together, come together for parties and events to celebrate the Saviors birth. There are holy moments in the rush, sometimes even a holy hush where love seems to be evident and hope permeates the air.  Gifts are great, but nothing can compare to sacred moments like these.  They don't involve gifts wrapped in pretty paper, they involve presence, His presence.  So set the stage this year for His presence, plan the event with Him in mind, breathe in the true meaning of Christmas.

I celebrate because Jesus was born a baby so that my baby could go to heaven.
For unto us a child is born.....love came down to bring salvation to pay a price that we could never pay.

This year I don't need a gift, just pour your heart out to all those you love.  Do it in memory of a boy, that grew into a man that always had a tender heart under the hard candy shell.  He was sticky sweet and salty tears, he was contradiction and joyful laughter, he was all boy yet so much a part of me, he was my son.  Don't allow bitterness, unforgiveness, pride and separation to have room in your heart. Make room for the Savior, to fill up your heart.  Seek healing and restoration, let things go, they really don't matter.  Love with every inch of your being because you never know what tomorrow holds. Prepare today to have no regrets tomorrow.

Slow down, take a moment, create your own holy hush.  Love others well and change the atmosphere wherever you go...be kinder, simpler, more at peace than ever before and remember tomorrow is promised to no one, live today like it is your last.  Kiss your spouse and your kids, don't sweat the small stuff and tell everyone you love how priceless they really are, and that will be a Holy Christmas indeed.

As for me, this Christmas it will still be event after event, but I am changing the atmosphere.  Instead of becoming a reflection of the chaos I will bring peace with me into the middle of the chaos. There won't be many gifts, simpler, quieter, calmer will be my Christmas season.  At least I will try.  

You are priceless!

Love you,
Debbie
Oh yeah, and do your shopping early and online, that will help too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...