Even Jesus had to go through hell....


So I woke up this morning thinking through some things about trials and the good works of God.  I had read Psalms 66 yesterday.  That first part sounds great,  right?  I remembered all the beginning(Make a joyful noise) and ending parts but sandwiched in the middle was this....
          8 Oh, bless our God, you peoples!
And make the voice of His praise to be heard, 9 Who keeps our soul among the living, And does not allow our feet to be moved. 10 For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined. 11 You brought us into the net; You laid affliction on our backs. 12 You have caused men to ride over our heads; We went through fire and through water; But You brought us out to rich fulfillment.                                                     Psalms 66:8-12 (NKJV)
I kept thinking about all that we have been through in the last three years.  It's quite a list.  My husbands heart problem, our middle son shot (wrong place, wrong time), a bit of a church split, our oldest son's departure to heaven, and the list doesn't seem to be stopping.....
We have been in a net of grief, afflicted, people have run over our heads (whatever that means, my interpretation is they tormented us emotionally rather than loved us), we have been through the fire and the water....
Even Jesus had to go through hell........
8 Therefore He says: "When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men." 9 (Now this, "He ascended"--what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
                                          Eph 4:8-10 (NKJV)
I am not saying I am anything like Jesus, I am simply saying we are being refined.  Why would I think I would get to miss out on the hard stuff?  It is hard and unpleasant but at the same time it is glorious and He has shown himself to be with us in the midst of it.  We are changing through the pain....I don't believe all of it is from the Lord, but He has allowed it for our good and His glory.  I refuse to be bitter, I will be better.  I will praise Him in this place. Sandwiched between all the good stuff, stuck in some hard stuff.  I will celebrate the fire that burns off the yuck of me....The waters that wash off the stench of the world.....

One day, I will say it is glorious.  Right now I am just saying....let the rich fulfillment come today, on this earth in this moment.  Bring your Kingdom Lord even in the midst of the fire and water.  I trust YOU, my LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...