Exchanging Ugly for Lovely

Recently I had the honor of an in-depth short conversation with a friend.  Someone I admire and enjoy.  She is a powerhouse, a shaker and a mover not just in business but in ministry.  She stepped into my office and I could see the turmoil on her face and then the tears started swimming in her eyes.  I quickly got up and wrapped my arms around her, a hug and a shoulder. 
A hug and a shoulder, isn't that what we all need?  She poured out her heart and I recognized myself in her struggles.  The scripture says there is nothing new under the sun, ahh how right you were Mr. Solomon.  I listen as her words reverberate within my heart.  Different problems, same heart.  Same corrupted heart, same striving in my own strength, same flesh that wants to fix, same hope for something better but seems to be just out of my grasp.  A hunger for something greater, a realization of self.  I have felt the cold slap in the face of that realization. There is ugly here, in my heart. I have seen it and loathed it and then I have embraced the realization and it is changing me, day by day.

I have lived in a well managed world, until I didn't.  Until everything changed and chaos reigned and in that utter loss of control, I learned to trust.  Deeper levels of faith come through adversity and strife.  Every problem an opportunity for overcoming flesh and setting grace free.  Deeper levels of faith realized.  I always envisioned walking into deeper waters of faith but lately I have had a different perspective.  I am a God container, the more of Him and the less of me; that is what higher levels of faith means to me.  The corrupt floating to the top, it's ugly.  There is no denying it, but I long to be filled with Him; the pure living water, the hope of the world.  She and I, linked arm and arm.  We could be any two believers committed to change and growth, committed to being God containers that allow more of Him and push out the imperfect bit by bit in a daily war with our flesh.  Asking ourselves what is really important here?  What is the heart of Jesus here?  How can I trust you Lord with everything, not just some things.  This is the struggle, this is the battle that wages within each of us.  She doesn't know that we are twins here in this struggle, sisters fighting on different fronts but the same war.  I encourage her and it encourages me.  She encourages me, and her faith is strengthened. Together we journey, pushing forward through the ugly in hopes of attaining the lovely. 

She sends me a text:

God doesn't love some future version of you, He loves you completely right now.--Matt Chandler
I respond:
That is the greatest news!  Makes me so thankful everyday, and that is why I can smile!  An attitude of gratitude. 
She is a God container, reminding me of why I love Him so.  She is a mirror to my heart and I see Jesus there and hope swells within my spirit.

This morning I arise with a word for her, a word for me, a word for all my sisters across the world.
When you come to the end of yourself, when managing your life becomes unmanageable and you have no choice but to completely trust in God, that's when you suddenly realize that you can!  When you can see that all your striving was indeed dependence on yourself and not God, then get ready because you have just opened the floodgate for the supernatural.  When you cry out; I can't do it, God answers back....I CAN!  Then God releases His peace like a river and His favor like a flood!  His yoke is easy and He is positions you for new levels of grace and freedom!  Get excited you are in a place for breakthrough and when you get to the other side you will have more joy than ever before!
As I text it to her, it encourages me.  God assignments, divine appointments all lined up to remind me that deeper levels of faith, change and growth come only to those of us who are willing to look into our hearts and push the ugly out by replacing it with the lovely.  The glory of a God who loves us completely right now in the imperfect messiness of our "right now" and is positioning us for the divine.  Calling us into being God containers of pure Holy waters, purging the ugly right out of us bit by bit and replacing it with the lovely goodness of a perfect God.  This journey; exchanging ugly for lovely, one day at a time is my joy.  Be blessed my friends and make a divine exchange today; the ugly for the lovely. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...