Practicing Presence

Though a sinner does evil a hundred times and His days (seemingly) are prolonged (in his wickedness), yet surely I know that it will be well with those who (reverently) fear God, who revere and worship Him, realizing His continual presence.  Ecclesiastes 8:12 AMP

Beside this scripture in my Bible are written these words;
If we seek God only when we are desperate then He will keep us in desperate circumstances because He so deeply desires to fellowship with us. 

A powerful statement that impacted me enough to write it down.  I don't desire to stay in desperate circumstances, who does?  However, when I contemplate that statement it does make me think about how am I doing at staying in His presence.  Without a doubt I do well when desperate.  When a crisis hits, I run straight to Jesus.  In my day to day life, I long for more and yet seem so easily distracted.  I arise each day with new hope that I can walk in the victory of His continual presence and before you know it I am full of my own presence rather than His.  Worries, anxiety and busyness consume me and I forget all about the one who called me out of the dark and into His marvelous light.  I struggle with the daily chores of dishes, carpool and laundry loaded unto a pool table waiting to be folded. I forget that every breath is filled with His presence if I choose to invoke it.  Folding laundry can be my act of worship, dishes can remind me to thank God for His washing me clean and carpool can be a labor of love with opportunities to speak blessings over my carload. His presence is invoked with simply my calling out to Him, inviting Him into my everyday circumstances. 

In Ecclesiastes it gives us the formula.  It will be well with those who fear God, meaning those who recognize the Bible and live to the best of their ability according to it's words.  Fearing God involves understanding His character and power, knowing Him and following Him in obedience.  It's not about legalism but rather it's about relationship.  The more I love God the more I want to be obedient.  Then it tells us to worship Him.  Worshipping Him in our every day lives, in the small details and the big deals.  With our first cup of coffee and with our tear soaked Kleenex in the midst of a tragedy.  These two things, taking the time to know Him and worship Him have the power to place us in His presence no matter where we are or what we are doing.  Then we will have the blessing of His continual presence.  After all, His presence is where I long to be all day, every day I just can't seem to stay there. I certainly don't need desperate circumstances to make me realize how truly desperate I am for my Savior.  Just a gentle reminder to practice His presence and invite Him into my every day life.  Tomorrow is a new day, invite Him in and enjoy His fellowship.

1 comment:

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...