Fasting

So.... I love the idea of fasting but hate the truth of sacrificing. Food is an issue that has plagued me my whole life. To little, to much and never just right. A study in a lack of balance. Indulging my flesh to much and then punishing my flesh with depravation. Self loathing at my weakness and pride in my ability to refuse food. I heard it said once that sin abounds where food abounds, I think I agree. So once again I embark on a Fast. My weakness forcing me to be dependent upon the Holy Spirit and my propensity for pride forcing me to admit my weaknesses.

Starting on the 6th all across the country Christians will fast for 21 days. We will practice being content with less and hopefully grow more hungry for God in the process. We will understand what true hunger is and maybe we will grow more compassionate for those less fortunate who don't choose to be hungry and yet are. We will have the opportunity to squash the God of our stomach and not let it rule our choices but instead let the pursuit of Godliness rule our hearts.

We live in hope.

"Virtuous people avail themselves of the things of this life with the moderation of a user, not the attachment of a lover." Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...