Sacred tears

Sacred Tears
I hope for relief, as pain leaks out of my eyes.  I am embarrassed that I can’t overcome my emotions, but even Jesus wept.  He wept with abandon over the death of Lazarus even though He knew he would soon raise him from the dead.  So then why the guilt over tears?  These tears spilling down my cheeks represent a love, a statement of my loss.  They reveal my humanity, my frailty but also my hope.  For every tear that falls there is a release of pain.  The pain spills down my face, races down my neck and reveals my heart….There is hope in sight, one less tear is yet to fall.  The count of tears that the Lord keeps is being added to and it simply must stand to reason that I am clearly filling up my bottle.  At some point no more tears will fall.  It won’t be soon, in fact it won’t be in this lifetime at all.  We will all continue to reveal our humanity in tears as we suffer in this world.  These wet, little tiny messengers will reveal to the world that we have sorrow and we have compassion.  We will invite others into our tears and sometimes we will join in others tears, it is called the fellowship of suffering.  It is humanity at its best, if we do it well.  If we will invite others into that sacred place of tears and fears, and if we will not run from that place when we see others struggling there.  These sacred tears can be shared tears filled with hope as we walk this journey together with our eyes on heaven. 
I am not hopeless because I know that the God of hope has assured me of this….
 Revelation 21:3-4 (ASV)
3 And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God: 4 and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My Heart is Full

I ran across this picture, just the other day.  It was painted way before my life turned upside down and inside out.  I thought my heart ...